VACATION READING

12.21.2012


This year, my vacation is all about reading. I am leaving behind my laptop for a measly-but-also-sort-of-groundbreaking five days and doing any/all writing I need to do in a notebook. With a pen! I'm just finishing up Triumph Of The City, by economist Edward Glaeser - not as dense as it sounds, I promise! It's a must-read for anyone with even a vague interest in ecological living, particularly young urbanites who've eschewed cars for oft-delayed MTA commutes (living off the G line can be rough.) Next up is historian David McCullough's The Greater Journey, to add some historical perspective to the rampant Francophilism (made up word, I know) that started up in me after reading Adam Gopnik's Paris To The Moon and Peter Mayle's retirement-fantasia classic A Year in Provence. The last piece of Literature I read was D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover. Lawrence's psychologically laborious, but oftentimes profoundly modern prose has left me hankering for something with a deeper meaning and poignant insights, but really I'll take anything in which I can imagine a pouting Keira Knightely as the protagonist. What will you be reading over the holiday?

P.S. Isn't that quote great? It's actually by Lemony Snicket, the man responsible for A Series of Unfortunate Events. (And FYI, you can find a whole bunch more great quotes about books at Goodreads.) Photos Géraud Béton (left) and Stefano Marchionini (right).
 

This Fruit Blogs | Sean Santiago © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger