
My "beauty" posts are strictly seasonal at this point, but as a former Allure subscriber I still consider myself an authority on the matter, so harken to my wisdom.
Mineral sunscreens: What are they? I don't really know because #science, but I've read that they sit on top of the skin rather than sinking into it, so I believe that. The two most common are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. Many of us associate Zinc with white lifeguards' noses, but there are a lot of new formulations coming out that you can wear all over your face without looking like you were home-schooled in Nebraska. One of the biggest reasons to choose a mineral sunscreen is that research (I think coming out of Europe or somewhere that doesn't deny climate change, so you can trust them) shows chemical sunscreens may actually cause cancer when they break down. Oops!
Right now, my mineral sunscreen of choice is Mustela Broad Spectrum SPF 50. (It's the number one baby care and stretch marks brand in Europe, according to the website!) The formula is comprised of Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide and it's Paraben-free, pthalate-free and a bunch-of-other-shit-free that you'll love if you get off on reading product labels like me.
I switched to it from Vive Sana Solar to Polar Ultra, because the consistency of the Vive Sana is...unwieldy. It's really, really thick, whereas the Mustela just melts into your skin. However, the Vive Sana ingredients list is basically just a bunch of oils—be still my bleeding liberal heart!—and the Mustela's inactive ingredients list includes a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce. If you're looking for the most eco product on the market, I think Vive Sana wins—it also lasts a really long time because of how concentrated it is. And here are five other products I'm into, because people like lists:
Aesop Fabulous Face Oil—I've actually been using this since winter. It's my moisturizer and it's pretty awesome, although it's expensive as balls.
Poppy Rouge by D.S. & Durga—This is my new "signature scent." Technically a "perfume" for "women," the website describes it with a quote from some book called, A Queen's Delight; sounds about right. Floral and citrusy with musky undertones #swoon.
Hudson Made Original White Beard & Shave Soap—I obviously don't use shaving cream so much, but this soap doubles as a "beard shampoo." (I live in Brooklyn!) It's lightly scented with essential oils and the packaging is so cute I could die.
Yes to Cucumbers sunscreen stick—A mineral sunscreen in stick form. I feel like everyone should have one (or two) of these in his/her murse.
John Masters Sea Spray—It's organic! It smells good! But I don't really get great hold from this product, so I'd suggest using it in conjunction with a paste or a wax.
Like this post? Check out last year's summer beautine here—and if you're going on vacation I've got tips for ya here!
