The other week I stopped into the Housing Works in Chelsea (#MuscleDaddy trolling, obvs) and took a desperate look around for adorable and cheap vintage ceramics, because I'm competing to be the most Brooklyn hipster-gay of them all and how am I supposed to win if I don't have anywhere to keep my baby cactus collection? Well, I didn't find any secondhand bud vases that met my standards, but I did see a simple black frame with shit artwork in it for $3. I thought to myself, "Do I really need this? What'll I do with it?" Well folks, what I did with it is this:

Art! Well...ok, so I took the cheapie frame—super simple, can't go too wrong—removed aforementioned shit stock photo and replaced it with a Comme des Garçons ad. Uh...DIY? I mean, kind of. I did the work of cutting out the ad and putting it into the frame, and no one can take that away from me.
What's nice about this particular ad is that it's totally bitching. I mean, you probably thought the "DIY" portion of this post would involve how to actually make an ad look like this, right? Crinkling it up all artsy like? No, silly—you find it, pre-crinkled, in French Vogue! Because everyone knows that doing things with your hands is for people who can't pronounce Balenciaga. Click through to see how this idea worked for an entire gallery wall in one of my old rooms!

Back in China I bought a bunch of frames for cheap (#theme), painted them black with acrylic paint and then put fashion editorials in them. It didn't look half bad, but there was no matting and it felt kind of college-y. Magazine Art 2.0 is less dorm-appropriate and conceptual enough to make visitors be jealous they didn't think of it first, which is all that really matters.
Follow *fruitpunch everywhere:
