READING FANTASTIC MAN

9.24.2013

Fantastic Man AW13 | Thisfruitblogs.com

Does that post title work? No? Whatever. Don't ask questions, just continue reading.*

*Oh, shit. I originally had this post titled, "Fantastic Homme-Osexual." Then I changed it. Now this sentence makes no sense. Here I am, clarifying that.

I used be wary of Fantastic Man. It's such an aggressively stylized publication—the use of prefixes, for instance, always felt disconcertingly effete. I was all like, "Keep your tie clips and your cufflinks and your combed hair, mensfolk, and gimme an Olsen twin!" Oh, what a difference a few years makes. While I'm still a big Olsen fangurl, I now feel like I "get" the magazine.

Fantastic Man seemed to me like GQ with the "appeal-to-middle-America" knob switched off, but then I realized that publishers Gert Jonkers and Jop Van Benekom—the men behind BUTT magazine—are just like, way gayer than that. I mean, duh. Take, for instance, the following sentence, a caption for a picture of one man lathering up another man's beard from their Spring/Summer '13 issue: "Ed has his cheeks creamed by Rob in preparation for the exciting moment of beard removal." Woof.

Of course, being however many years older and wiser also means I've had time to realize how crazy talented and consistent these two really are. Jonkers and Van Benekom have developed an aesthetic that's highly influential, on me now more than ever, yes, but more widely so—from typefaces to color combinations—it even looks like they ghost art directed this season's Prada campaign. Their roster of collaborators also happens to include some of my favorite talents in the biz: stylists Jodie Barnes and Olivier Rizzo, and photogs Alasdair McLellan, David Sims, Walter Pfeiffer, Collier Schorr and Liz Collins. (Of note: Google says Olivier Rizzo styled the Prada campaign and David Sims shot it, so there's that.)

So this is all to say that I'm still reading magazines and there's why. What are you into? Also—look! It's my work cactus! Er, I guess it's just a succulent, huh? In a chalkboard paint Canvas jar I'm using as a pot. It's adorable. It's my baby. Being single is great!

Follow *fruitpunch everywhere:
 

This Fruit Blogs | Sean Santiago © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger